“Monitoring Detention and Borders”
24 May 2021, 11.30 – 13.30 GMT
Border Criminologies Online Conference: “Landscapes of Border Control and Immigration Detention in Europe”
As part of the Border Criminologies three-day online conference “Landscapes of Border Control and Immigration Detention in Europe,” the GDP’s executive director will chair a panel on monitoring detention and borders, which will include representatives from several regional and international human rights and detention monitoring institutions.
The panel will include the following presentations:
- The CPT: A critical voice for minimum immigration detention standards in Europe – Hugh Chetwynd, CPT
- The Greek Ombudsman as human rights monitor in the international protection procedures: Recent developments in the implementation of administrative detention measures and the forced returns operations – George Nikolopoulos, NPM Greece
- The Italian National Guarantor’s monitoring activity on immigration detention – Elena Adamoli, NPM Italy
- The Portuguese Terminal: detention centres in airports and their monitoring by the NPM – João Costa – NPM Portugal
- Immigration detention under the scrutiny of international bodies – Carmen Comas-Mata, SPT
- Monitoring immigration detention and prisons in the UK during the COVID-19 pandemic – Hindpal Singh Bhui, Inspection Team Leader at HM Inspectorate of Prisons (HMIP), UK
Registration for the conference is now open here.
The full conference programme is also available here.