- WHAT: New GDP Webinar: The Many Tools of OPCAT for Preventing Harmful Migration-related Detention
- WHEN: 5 September 2022, 13h – 15h CET
The GDP is holding the third in its series of interactive webinars on how civil society organisations can mobilise international and regional human rights monitors to protect the rights of detained refugees and migrants. This webinar will focus on the various mechanisms established by the Optional Protocol to the UN Convention against Torture (OPCAT), including the Subcommittee on Prevention of Torture (SPT) and National Preventive Mechanisms (NPMs), aimed at preventing torture and ill treatment in detention. Speakers include:
- Sir Malcolm Evans, Professor of International Public Law, University of Bristol, and former Chairperson of the SPT;
- Hindpal Singh Bhui, Inspection Team Leader, UK Inspectorate of Prisons;
- Kwanele Pakati, South African Human Rights Commission;
- Marko Anojčić, Serbia Ombudsperson;
- Massimiliano Bagaglini, NPM Italy;
- Veronica Filippeschi, Association for the Prevention of Torture;
- Steven Caruana, Australia OPCAT Network;
- Michael Flynn, Global Detention Project.
The event is open to all; please email email@example.com to register!
For more information about previous webinars in this series, see: